BIBLE READING: MATTHEW 6: 25-34
- “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
- Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
- Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
- “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labour or spin.
- Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendour was dressed like one of these.
- If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
- So do not worry, saying,
What shall we eat?' orWhat shall we drink?’ or`What shall we wear?’
- For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
- But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
- Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. MESSAGE:
The average man has a lot of issues facing him daily: From his immediate and extended families, church, work-place, daily events, etc. Each of these attracts his attention and requires his time, energy and resources. Therefore the tendency to worry is natural. However the Lord Jesus said, “Take no thought for tomorrow (v.34). He said we should not worry about mundane things of life like food and clothing. God who cares for the lilies and beautifies the grasses which can be cut down at will, cares for us.
“For your Father knows the things you need of before you ask Him” (Matt. 6:8). God cares! What are you worrying about? The Corona virus was ravaging the world and putting everyone into fear and confusion as this was being written. Cast your cares upon the Lord, He cares for you. Reflect on the Word of God. Sing spiritual songs. These and others are food for the soul and mind. Philippians 4:8 enjoins us on what to meditate on: Things that are noble, just, pure, lovely and of good report. By worrying, you cannot add a single hair to your head. Jesus asked us to seek first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and all these things we worry about shall be added to us (Matt. 6:33). Can you trust Christ enough with your problems?
Lord Jesus, please help me to seek first the kingdom of heaven so that my worries will vanish.
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself.” (Exodus 19:4).